Radiator problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, newbie here.

I am looking for some advice regarding my radiators.

I live in a block of flats built in the 1920's, and have the same cast iron radiators.
The heating is communal, and its paid for in the annual maintenance.
I've lived here for almost a year now, and the heating has just come back on today.

I have a problem with my radiator in my kitchen, it doesn't get hot, or warm, at all, though both pipes leading to it do.
I've undone the valve and taken it off, had a nose inside, some water dripped out and air hissed, but nothing warm.

The other problem is that some of the working radiators are cold or luke warm at the bottom.

Now is this my responsibility, or should it be covered in the maintenance?

Many thanks for your time.
Matt

Sponsored Links
Now is this my responsibility, or should it be covered in the maintenance?

Why not ask your landlord :?: ;)

IN the meantime..........

ONE (OR MORE) RADIATORS NOT WORKING

Try these checkpoints

1) First check that the lockshield valve is fully open and the trv (if fitted) is not stuck.

2) Turn off all the other rads to force the flow into the cold one(s)

3) Bleed all rads especially offending one

4) Balance your system (details above)

5) Take off the rad and flush out

6) With the rad off, open both valves(one at a time) to get rid of an airlock and to ensure a healthy flow into a bucket.

7) Is the rad a new installation as part of an extension etc?. Look at how it has been piped up. Better flow is achieved when it is fed straight off the flow and return.

The maintenance company say it's my responsibility.

What is a TRV and a lockshield?
The heating is communal so turning off the other radiators won't make any difference surely... Also I can't turn the water off so can't remove the radiator and it's been there since the 20's so won't just undo :)

Sponsored Links
The maintenance company say it's my responsibility.

they would though wouldnt they. i would suggest you get a copy of the lease or terms and conditions before you get stuck into anything you might regret.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back