Radiator Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to remove a radiator so I can remove tiles, plaster and paint. I believe I can do this without having to drain the entire system. I'm sure this is a simple question but I want to ensure I do it properly for obvious reasons.

There is a valve like this on each side of the radiator

Photo032.jpg

1) Can I use this to isolate the radiator so I can remove it without draining the system?

2) If so how? Which part of the joint do I turn?

3) I'm told that when I reinstall the radiator I'm to have the bleed valves open so that when I re-open the isolation valves, all of the air can escape - is this true or do I just bleed them after re-opening isolation valves?

4) Is it a case of using the pressure tap on my combi to replace the water lost when removing?

5) Any general advice on this project?

Thanks muchly

Mark

Sponsored Links
1) Can I use this to isolate the radiator so I can remove it without draining the system?
yes
2) If so how? Which part of the joint do I turn?
The spindle at the top, clockwise
3) I'm told that when I reinstall the radiator I'm to have the bleed valves open so that when I re-open the isolation valves, all of the air can escape - is this true or do I just bleed them after re-opening isolation valves?
open the isolation valves, then bleed
4) Is it a case of using the pressure tap on my combi to replace the water lost when removing?
yes - the filling loop, until 1.2 to 1.5 bar (cold) is reached

5) Any general advice on this project?
Use a lot of towels to protect wall and carpet when you undo the rads.

I would only add that I would use a small dish under the valve when you loosen it from the rad. Loosen it very slightly and open the air valve till the water comes out slowly. Don't loosen the valve right off till the water has stopped as there should be quite a pressure still in the rad.

thanks very much for your speedy help. Is it a case of turning the spindle till its tight (but not over tight) to close valve?

cheers

Sponsored Links
thanks very much for your speedy help. Is it a case of turning the spindle till its tight (but not over tight) to close valve?

cheers

Yep - although it may be so old that you don't get it to seal.

Vent your radiator until water comes out. then close of both valves. Then open air vent. You will get some water out but it should soon completly stop, proving that the valves are holding up.Close the air vent then undo radiator unions and remove rad with thumbs over exposed valve ends. " people may be needed if large rad. Good luck . Protect cream carpets.....

Vent your radiator until water comes out. then close of both valves. Then open air vent. You will get some water out but it should soon completly stop, proving that the valves are holding up.

Top tip!!!! :)

Thanks again for your help. If the valves dont seal then is my only option to drain the system? If so how do I go about this?

Thanks again

Thanks again for your help. If the valves dont seal then is my only option to drain the system? If so how do I go about this?

Thanks again

Turn off boiler
Close radiator valves (the rads you're not working on) to conserve water.
Find drain-off point, attach hose and drain off.

Refilling is the reverse procedure.

I've closed the valves tonight (not removing till weekend). They started dripping from the spindles but this stopped when I nipped the nut up around the spindle - is this normal?

Also, if i were to put heating on now and this rad didn't heat this should be a sign also the valves are working??

Also if I do put heating on would this put unnecessary pressure on valves causing them to leak?

Thanks again

Mark

Heating on will be fine.

Think the valves on the rad you want to work on are getting past their prime - however, spindle leak isn't uncommon and not too worrying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back