radiator repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Is there anyway to repair the overflow pipe on a radiator , The pipe im on about returns the water to the expansion bottle , Its only about 10mm in diameter and 20mm long , It has snapped off my radiator .

Is there anything i can use to fix a metal pipe into the hole and seal it .

John

Sponsored Links
Hi folks

Is there anyway to repair the overflow pipe on a radiator , The pipe im on about returns the water to the expansion bottle , Its only about 10mm in diameter and 20mm long , It has snapped off my radiator .

John
Yes there is an epoxy putty, called I believe 'Plumbers mate' that is very effective.
Two constituants kneaded together, sets rock hard.

Wotan

Thanks wotan

Where would i get this plumbers mate from ?
I tryed araldite but it just came off after so much heat went into it .

Cheers
John

Hi folks

John
Yes there is an epoxy putty, called I believe 'Plumbers mate' that is very effective.
Two constituants kneaded together, sets rock hard.

Wotan

Plumber's Mait (as it's spelled) is a non-setting putty used for fitting sanitary ware and wouldn't help repair your radiator.

Is it possible for you to solder the pipe in place? Bear in mind, if you do this, to keep the radiator filled with coolant or the heat you're using may cause damage elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Plumber's Mait (as it's spelled) is a non-setting putty used for fitting sanitary ware and wouldn't help repair your radiator.

Is it possible for you to solder the pipe in place? Bear in mind, if you do this, to keep the radiator filled with coolant or the heat you're using may cause damage elsewhere.
Sorry but the product I am refering to, is a hard setting epoxy putty it will do the job...B&Q stock it, and yes it is called Plumbers mait .. quick leak repair putty.

I take it the radiator end tanks are plastic rather than brass or copper? The heat shouldn't bother the Araldite. The radiator won't ever get much above 100 degrees and I think any epoxy (including Araldite) ought to be able to easily handle that.

If the end tank is plastic, it might just be a type that doesn't like being glued with epoxy. Some plastics are almost impossible to get adhesive to stick to!

Also worth looking at is the cleanliness of the joint. Antifreeze is horribly slippy, so you'd have to be absolutely certain that the surfaces to be joined were 100% clean and free of any kind of residue - (which is easier said than done)!

A scrapyard might be your best bet - also there are plenty of places that recondition radiators.

by the time youve screwed around bodging it for it to fail again you'll probably get a radiator for around the £50 mark

I've used that stuff to fix a leak on a (house) radiator and a timing cover on a Mini, worked a treat.

Hmmmmmmmmm its a mitsubishi delica and a second hand rad is going to cost me 100 quid .

Well i've tryed another idea so we shall see if it works , I drilled the hole a bit bigger , used a bit of metal pipe and threaded it so it screws into the radiator and used leak fix ( sort of like epoxy chemical metal ) its holding just now so will see how long it can last .

John

Sponsored Links
Back