Radiator under window - heat goes behind curtains.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In two of our rooms the radiator is under the window and the hot air goes up between the curtain and the window. We have uninsulated cavity walls but do have double glazing. I have heard you need the rads under the windows to circulate the air but can you add a shelf above the rad to direct the air up the front of the curtains, not the back?

Sponsored Links
I have just read a similar post on here and have read that the shelf idea is sound. However, I am wondering about going one step further and spacing the radiator away from the wall more and adding insulation to the wall. Can anyone see an problems with this? What if I went and added a wall lining with plasterboard and insulation - is this going crazy? It's a seven foot long radiator with no fins on the back, maybe I should replace it with a double modern one to reduce the length against the wall.

Have you ever posted your own answer to your own question?
Is this the first sign of madness - again? :)

Sponsored Links
NEED the rads under the windows for circulation?? Never seen a course book that said that. This idea stems from the time that it was considered intelligent to stick the roomstat where you spend the least time, the hall, and have the lounge uncontrolled so it is either too cold or too hot.
However, the rads are where they are so the best you can do without going through a lot of cost is rad-reflectors and a sizeable window sill. And make sure the curtains stop ON the sill, not in front of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back