Radiator beneath a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently replaced a window and as a result will have to drop the height of the internal window ledge. There is a radiator directly below the window ledge and when the ledge is dropped, the bottom of it will sit just 2 inches above the top of the radiator.
Is this likely to cause me any problems ? Will the heat from the radiator just be lost to the space behind the curtain ?
I could possibly lower the radiator a little if I had to - but this would take quite a lot of effort, so I don't want to without good reason.
Thanks for the replies !

Sponsored Links
Never cover radiators with curtains. Other than that it shouldnt be any problem.

If you wanna lower it how much copper pipe do you have coming out of the floor to the valves. It can basically be lowered most of that.

It's a good idea to fit a shelf/extended window sill above the radiator to ensure that all convected heat is deflected to the room side of the curtains. Ensure a gap of at least 30mm above rad to allow air to circulate.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't everyone pull their curtains behind their radiators? I've now got a feeling I've been involved in a strange practise all these years :D

Thanks for the replies.
I didn't know whether there were issues other than the increased likelihood of heat from the rad going into the space between the curtain and the window (as opposed to into the room). As this appears to be the only potential issue, I'm sure it can be overcome (probably by simply shortening the curtains, as suggested). I did wonder about lowering the rad but presumably I would need to drain at least part of the CH system in order to drop the supply pipes (I vaguely recall hearing something about be able to temporarily freeze parts of the system, though I have no knowledge of how this works - assuming it wasn't just a wind up !).

:confused: you can fit a new radiator (if the same length) without having to drain down the system.

If the old rad is a single, you could fit a double with probably the same or better heat output.

A radiator shelf will divert the flow of warm air outwards and help prevent it escaping behind the curtain

Anyway, a partial draindown is no big deal as DIY plumbing goes. you could fit some TRVs and give it a clean while you're at it.

But be sure to refill using inhibitor.

Thanks for the comment John.
The original suggestion was to shorted the pipes connected to the radiator, to effectively lower it. I could fit a double radiator - but that would involve a lot of effot/cost for what I'm trying to achieve.
Out of interest, how should I clean out the radiator (it's not on the wall at the moment, so I've got a good opportunity !). Also, do you know anything about freezing part of the system (to allow the pipe to be cut and a new compression fitting added) ?
Thanks.

I wouldn't bother trying to freeze it, I'd drain it.

If you want (assuming it is an unsealed system with a feed and Expansion tank in the loft) you can plug the feed pipe and the vent which bends down above it using conical rubber bungs which you can get at the plumbers tools counter. then if you cautiously open ONE (not both) of the rad taps over a basin, some water will come out, then it will stop. you can then cut that pipe and re-fit a valve. Then, close that valve and open the other one until water stops coming out.

For this technique to work you must only ever have one point open in the system at a a time.

You can take the rad into the garden and squirt a hose through it. If there is a lot of black sludge, the rest of the syst will be equally dirty, so you could add a cleaning chemical to the circulating system and run it for a couple of weeks before draining, flushing, and re-filling with an inhibitor.

I am just a sensible householder, not a plumber

You may not be a plumber but it sounds as if you are a pretty knowledgeable householder !
Thanks for the advice - I'll certainly clean the rad and I'll consider my options re. dropping it's height (though in all probability, I'll just shorten the curtains !).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back