Window Ledge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently replaced a bedroom window and now need to install a new internal window ledge. If I lay the ledge on the existing course of bricks, it will be about 1.5cm lower than I want. How should I best raise the height of the brickwork ?
I am considering 3 options:

1. Screwing wooden battens to the existing bricks and glueing the ledge to them
2. Laying the ledge on a bed of mortar about 1.5cm thick
3. Sticking some old floor tiles to the bricks and then glueing the ledge to the tiles

Which of the above options would be best ? Or is there a better way that I've not considered ?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I tried the mortar route and found it very hard to get it perfectly flat and smooth under the board.

I like your idea of battens, and when you have trued them, you could use them as a form for a layer of mortar. But if you just leave a space it will be less prone to damp from the wall.

Thanks for the reply John.
Re. the mortar, my intention would be to place the ledge on it whilst it was wet, so getting it flat shouldn't be an issue... However, I guess this might cause other problems (such as it not 'sticking' or the ledge being 'sucked' down as the mortar dries)...

you can wrap the board in clingfilm (otherwise it will warp and swell from the wet mortar) but would still have to fasten it down.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough - the battens are probably the best idea then. My only issue with them was if I ever wanted to take the ledge out again (once it has been stuck to battens that have been screwed into the brick, I think it is there for good !). I guess it's not worth worrying about - it's just that it's an old house and I like to think that everything could be salvaged at some point in the future, if needs be ! ( I've salvaged plenty from it already - including this particular window ledge !!).
Thanks again for your time.

if a bit of mess from foam is not a prob.. I`d wedge the windowboard in position from struts above and then foam it :idea: so you`d need spare bits of timber etc and be prepared to decorate under window if foam marks wall.......or mask it off with newspaper :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back