Replacing tiles with new window ledges / window boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The interior ledges of the windows in my house have been tiled (badly) and I'm looking to replace them with wooden window ledges, which I'll then paint.

Not having any experience in this area I'd appreciate some tips as to:

Which type of wood to use
Best way to cut it
How to fix it etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why not use Poly Board – http://www.polycoltd.co.uk/index.php?categoryID=81

It has a laminate finish like kitchen worktops, looks better than painted timber, is much more hard wearing & easier to keep clean. Cut it with a jig saw, stick it down with a trade quality grab adhesive & run a bead of caulk around the edge.

we always fit pre-primed, purpose made, 25mm thick, mdf window board.

it performs well, as it is not prone to cupping.

we dab a piece of plasterboard horizontally onto the window ledge first. to this we fix the window board using sticks like s**t.

it is a good system as the board adhesive sticks well to masonry and the mdf sticks well to the plasterboard via the evostick product.

also, it is very easy to get the plasterboard very true and level by using board adhesive. this means no need for packers when fitting the window board. just use the same size blobs of adhesive and squash it in place. ;)

once set it is quite difficult to rip off and does not require any additional mechanical fixings.

don't be shy with the sticks like s**t. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back