Repairing window ledge and cement between brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have noticed the plaster has become very damp in our bay window underneath the windows. I have inspected the outside of the bay window and notice that there are quite a few holes in the cement between the bricks and the lwindow ledge is cracked. See below

http://www.mypicx.com/01312010/Brickwork/

Can anyone rec a repair method/product that has a waterproof agent in it to repair this? Please point to a website if this already out there in form of a FAQ page

Thanks adam[/url]

Sponsored Links
Your brickwork needs pointing, sand and cement mortar will take care of that.
The repair to your cill,
This will depend if you want the colours to match up the old cill and new repair.
I'd clean the cill up first.
Then you could repair damage with a mixture of 3 x silica sand to 1 x cement add a water proofing admixture, you can buy these form most sheds and merchants.
You won't get your coulour spot on without adding pigments to the mix, this will involve a lot of trial and error. So you could consider a masonary paint for whole cill, to hide the repair.

You can also buy sandstone repair compounds.
It's really up to you.
It looks like a precast cill, if it was natural stone I would consider finding a stone of the same type/colour, grinding the stone to dust and using this to help reach the colour.
You will need to pva the repair to help bond it.

Thanks for your help.

When I clean up the cill what is the best way. Steel brush?

Are you saying use PVA to internal seal the crack and then aply an external seal i.e "a mixture of 3 x silica sand to 1 x cement add a water proofing admixture" so that I can match it to hide the crack?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back