Replace shaped bricks in bay window column

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought a late Victorian house in North Cornwall. The prevailing wind has been racing in off the Atlantic and has for years been stripping away at the brickwork on the front elevation.

The brickwork around the bay windows is particularly badly spalled. In a couple of places, the damage has resulted in a brick cracking completely in half.

The broken brick is shaped. It forms part of the column between the individual windows in the bay. I have no idea what this kind of brick is, whether it has a particular name, or whether I will be able to buy a replacement somewhere. Does anyone have an idea what it might be called? If I can't buy one exactly the right dimensions, is it possible to reshape another brick?

Many thanks in advance,

Jim
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8qU834WWEc9i1fXt7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8p14Y3qSj9vtfP2m8

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, mrrusty. Are squint bricks always of the same dimensions/angles? Or should I expect to need them reshaped?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to ask a brickie if they are all the same - I think all the 45 degree ones will be similar (but will be available in both imperial and metric sizes), but I'm just a DIYer who knows what they are...

Sponsored Links
There are 3 main angles, but they can also be made to suit.
Thanks stuart45. Any good tips on who provides such a service? Or do you mean getting a brickie to just make some up? I have no idea how easy it is to find truly matching bricks (in terms of the material/colour etc.)

Many thanks, stuart45. Most appreciated. By chance, I found I had one last original squint lying at the back of the house, still in good enough condition to serve as a replacement! Once I've replaced it, I'll post a photo. I think it's very likely some others will fail over the coming years, as several houses in my street suffer the same problem. Good to know that there are places out there that can cut new bricks to size.

w1 (1).jpg w2.jpg
You can make them like this and resin bond the pieces together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back