Movement in Bay Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double bay window. I.e Brick Base, with bay window to lounge, brickwork above, and bay window to bedroom.

I have noticed that the bay has started to move away from the house. There is no movement in the brick base or downstairs windows, and I suspect that the problem is caused by the wooden frames being removed, and replaced with unsupported upvc windows resulting in insufficient support for the bedroom bay.

What are the options to resolve this?

View media item 38242 View media item 38241

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replys. I have posted a couple photos.

Not sure if this can be "repaired" - i.e helifix etc, or needs to be removed and rebuilt.

Sponsored Links
Yes. There is no sign of movement in the brick base of the downstairs bay, or the downstairs window. Upstairs where the brick between the windows meets the main house wall there is a crack through the wall (moving away) on both sides. (see pic - of vertical crack inside upstairs)

The dark grey colour on the photos along the windows (upstair & downstairs) is where the render was patched, and patch painted when the windows were installed.

You are going to need scaffolding and get the render of to see whats going properly. The windows will almost certainly be the cause of the cracks

Not a problem. House is a renovation project. Will unearth and see what is going on.

Clearly need to sort out cause before repairing crack. Can support posts be added to existing windows, or should the windows be replaced with integral support posts.

After that, what options are there to rectify the cacked brickwork.

Options I have considered are:

Helibar across bay, and bowtie.

Steel Strap bay to house, before rerender.

Replace brick barrel, with blockwork and render.

Replace brick barrel with studwork, board and render.

Any pros/cons and recommendations

your on the right lines. most are not bricks see what you find first but you could take a lot of weight out by replacing with stud work which a lot are built like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back