single layer of bricks spalling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I looked at a house we are interested in buying and before we make an offer wondered whether someone might be able to advise us on an issue with the garage.

The house is a sixties built semi. there seems to be no spalling of the brick around the house. The garage is attached to the house but set back so 50% of the side elevation is exposed. (hope this makes sense).

The 50% exposed side in the back garden has at some point been rendered to one brick height from ground level. This has all "fallen" off and taken some of the brickwork off with it. I suspect this is due to freeze thaw damage.

My First question is whether the spalling is a result of the render being applied, or whether it has more to do with the bricks themselves being very wet.

My second question is with regard to repair. The depth of damage is about 10-15mm and a little deeper in places. Is there a solution to repairing this damage or should the offending bricks be replaced.

The garage is single skin brickwork . If replacement is the solution and as the roof needs re felting and I am intending to replace it with a Metal job anyway, would it be better to rip it down and start again with a course or two of resistant bricks?

Thanks

Tim.

Sponsored Links
The spalled bricks will need to be replaced. They will only get worse.

Of course it's possible the whole wall was in bad shape and that is wy it was rendered? If a single wall of a brick built house is the only one rendered there is usually a reason why.

As for the garage it depends on what you want to use it for. You could simple render the outside and then batten insulate and board the walls or just keep it well ventilated to keep it cold but dryish.

If you plan to use it as anything other than simple car/ bicycle storage then it may be better to pull it down, especially if you can re-build it yourself then it won't be too costly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back