Radiator valve leak - can I stop it without draining the system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The radiator valve just gave up and started leaking heavily. I have been waiting for the plumber to come for a few weeks. The central heating is off and I closed the flow and return valves on the boiler.

However the leak is still enough that it will overflow a washing up bowl overnight. Is there a way to slow it down? Do I just need to drain the system? I put a picture below. It is the first radiator after the boiler so I would need to drain the whole thing I assume?

I have a Chappee Luna platinum duo HTE boiler if it is relevant.

Many thanks,
Gill

Attachments

• 20231016_202316.jpg
    20231016_202316.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Pull off the white plastic head ( you may need to remove a screw from the top first) and show us another picture with it removed.

I did try this but I couldn't get it off. There is a hole in the top.but it doesn't look like a screw. More like something you would put a hex? tool in. I am out at the minute but will try again in an hour when I get back.

Thank you!

terry has nailed it, it lookslike it's leaking from the gland.
You might be lucky, and be able to undo the nut (if it has one) sealing the gland, and repair with PTFE tape, failing that, bung your header tank, and replace valve, no need to drain.

Sponsored Links
@terryplumb @kidgreen61 I got the plastic part off and it looks like this.

I don't have a header tank. Just the boiler which has a small tank built into it. The pressure is still over 1 bar in the central heating system.

Any tips? I don't have any PTFE tape either :(

Attachments

• 20231016_225517.jpg
    20231016_225517.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 63
  • 20231016_225450.jpg
    20231016_225450.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 61
Can you turn the radiator off, see if it stops?

If the valve will move try closing it right down. Suitable sized spanner required on square head and turn clockwise.if you are happy with no heating/ hot water till plumber turns up depressurise the system by bleeding water off at a bleed valve on a radiator.

Last edited:
I turned it as far as I could with the spanner but it stills leaks. The pressure is down at 0.3 bar. I can take water out of the system by the boiler on the return pipe (there is a sort of drain with a tap).

It seems to be slowing down so hopefully it will just stop overnight or at least stay slow enough to keep on top of until it is fixed.

Thank you all!

This is the plan (in fact to change the radiator) but in the meantime we have no heating and the plumber can't come for a couple of days.

I am going to buy some PTFE tape now. I took the top nut off and I can see the spindle and a washer. Do I just wrap a string of the tape around the base of the spindle and replace the nut?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20231017_085108.jpg
    20231017_085108.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231017_085056.jpg
    20231017_085056.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 36
I put the tape on and refilled the system with water. It seems to not leak if I leave the radiator off.

Hopefully it will be properly fixed soon! Thank you all :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back