Radiators constantly hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is too hot due to the central heating being on, even though the control unit for my Ideal logic 24 combi is set to the off position. I have changed the batteries to two new Duracell batteries and switched the boiler mode selector to hot water only. Ironically, the central heating is still on and, although the control programme is set between 17-19 degrees max (at different time zones) it is Varying between 20-23 degrees. I have powered it down at the fused spur and then turned the mode selector to the reset position and then on to hot water only. The problem still persists though at the moment I appear to only be able to control it by turning the boiler mode selector to the off position which, isn't practical with young grandchildren and young adults. Any suggestions on what I could do before calling a heating engineer?

retitled and moved to plumbing and heating

Sponsored Links
There is very little you can do, as the boiler needs looking at, and this task can only be performed by a gas registered engineer.
It sounds like you could have a divertor valve issue.

Thanks for replying. That sounds like it's not physically turning a valve from hot water to central heating. Would that cause my problem?

Thanks for replying. That sounds like it's not physically turning a valve from hot water to central heating. Would that cause my problem?
Yes, it and electrical controlled mechanical device that diverts between domestic hot water to central heating.

Sponsored Links
A heating engineer has called and said that it's two parts. One was leaking water and the part that turns the diverter valve had water in it. So the leak needs sorting and the other part needs replacing. He also said that my hot water is going into my radiators due to the fault, this is why they're getting hot. Even though the boiler is set to hot water only. I really appreciate your help, Thanks again.

He also said that my hot water is going into my radiators due to the fault, this is why they're getting hot.

Hopefully that's not quite what he said!

Hopefully he said that the heat was going into your radiators rather than the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back