Radiators not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am living in a 100 year old house with radiators. The ones downstairs work great, but the radiators upstairs are not working at all. When I try to bleed the radiators upstairs, air comes out for about 20 seconds, but that's it - water comes out of the downstairs radiators when I bleed them. Is there any easy way to get the upstairs radiators to work?

Sponsored Links
What system do you have?

It does sound as if your top rads are empty. Check your F/E tank first.
May be empty
:(

What's a F/E tank? I'm female and absolutely clueless about radiators.

Sponsored Links
merftums

Please tell us more about your system, for example:

How is the water heated?

What [kind of] boiler do you have?

Is the system it pumped?

Is it vented?

Do you have stored hot water?

Do you have any thermostats?

Is it possible that you have more than one heating zone in the house, with valves controlling the flow of water to different sets of radiators?

Do you have more than one room thermostat?

In the meantime, have you tried shutting off all of the downstairs radiators to see if that forces water through the upstairs ones?

>How is the water heated?
there is a boiler.

>What [kind of] boiler do you have?
i have no idea. it's in a part of the basement that isn't accessible very easily.

>Is the system it pumped?
i don't know what this means.

>Is it vented?
no clue

>Do you have stored hot water?
???

>Do you have any thermostats?
there is one downstairs on the main floor

>Is it possible that you have more than one heating zone in the house, >with valves controlling the flow of water to different sets of radiators?
what would these valves look like?

>Do you have more than one room thermostat?
no.

>In the meantime, have you tried shutting off all of the downstairs >radiators to see if that forces water through the upstairs ones?
How do you shut them off. Besides the valve for bleeding the radiators, there is a circular knob that turns - which direction is off?

merftums said:
>In the meantime, have you tried shutting off all of the downstairs >radiators to see if that forces water through the upstairs ones?
How do you shut them off. Besides the valve for bleeding the radiators, there is a circular knob that turns - which direction is off?

The knob turns clockwise for off, and anticlockwise for on.

However merftums, Gasman1015 is quite right. The amount of knowledge that we would need to convey to you before even starting to fault find this system is impractically large. The only recommendation I can make is that you summon a skilled engineer to inspect your system and diagnose the problem.

Best of luck.
S.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back