radiators problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me why my downstairs radiators stay cold when the upstairs ones get hot? The Sime combi is upstairs and functions well otherwise. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi camper,
This is an extract from a artical I read yesterday in a Heating and Plumbing magazine

If upstairs radiators are working but downstairs ones are not there may be an accumalation of system deposits in the downstairs pipe work or radiators
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Are you able to balance your rads. On one end of the rad will be a OFF/ON or THERMOSTATIC VALVE on the other will be a LOCK SHIELD valve, take the cap of this valve and useing a adjustable spanner turn it fully off then turn back about 1/2 a turn so that it is just on, do this to all the rads upstairs and check all downstairs are open ,this will force most of the flow to the downstairs circuit which must have more resistance than upstairs.

its only a thought, could there not be a 2nd room thermostat operating a motorised valve, or just a motorised valve?

Sponsored Links
Hi guys thanks for these tips. It' been suggested to me elsewhere that I've described the pump failing or failed. COG, if I turn the upstairs radiators off then the downstairs get hot. BREEZER, there is'nt a second room thermostat, as for a motorised valve er... not sure. Where would that be? MANDATE, it could be sludge but the system was only installed 3 1/2 years ago. I rang Sime for help but they closed down. I'm going for the pump as even if balancing the radiators works I didn't have to do that until now.

If its been in 3 1/2 years then chances are its your pump,but clean out your system as well or you may have the problem back later. PS you can have sludge after a fee days if the flux etc has'nt been cleaned out.

I've got the new pump installation sussed but how do I flush the system out first? Any help would be appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back