Radiators warm at the top cold at the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, just switched heating on to find that after usual annual checks, bleeding raiators etc the radiators are warm at the top and cold at the bottom except for the bathroom one which is first in-line and warm throughout. The pump sounds as if it is running and the speed can be varied by the dial on the top, but it is very hot (Myson SMC SD53), I'm not sure of it's age, please advise if you can from this description, do I have 'pump-lock' or should I just replace the pump which is easily isolated by cut-off valves eaither side so hopefully wouldn't have to empty the system.

Any advice would be gratefully received, many thanks Jane MM

Sponsored Links
if the pump is hotter than the pipes going into/coming out of it the chances are you need a new one. firstly, though, I would suggest turning the system off - both heating and hot water - and letting it cool completely.
Then unscrew the black nut on the end of the pump, when loose, gently pull and spin the rotor - should move quite easily, then turn heating back on if pump still doesnt work try tuning black nut whilst heating is on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back