Radon sump and roof ventilation proposal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a recent Radon test and the results recommend that we have a Radon sump.
The easiest way I can see is to excavate a small chamber in the garage under the floor of the house.
I would then use a 4" or 6" plastic pipe to duct the Radon gas out through the garage wall and then run the pipe up to just above the roof line.
This can all be done at the side of the house in the alleyway where it won't be noticed.
I would like to fit a Flettner 2000 van type spinning vent to the top of the pipe so that here in Cornwall, when the wind is blowing (99% of the time) the vent draws any Radon gas from the sump and expels it at roof height.
This will be much cheaper, more reliable and won't use any energy like an electric fan would.
How does that plan sound to anyone else?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I got the idea from the linked pdf file.
As the bottom of the pipe is in the sump there isn't really any airflow.
The idea is to create a very slight constant vacuum in the sump so that any Radon gas that leaches out of the soil is carried up the pipe instead of penetrating through the concrete floor of the house.
It's much easier for me to run the pipework externally although this will involve 2 90 degree bends.

http://www.bre.co.uk/radon/56998_hRadonSht2PP.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back