Rafter Insulation/lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am thinking of using the loft for a train layout & scalextric layout for our son, so he has them permanently set up. The floor is already insulated & boarded, and a Velux window is being installed. I would like to insulate the rafters, with a view to stop any dust/dirt etc falling onto the tracks. I am looking into using the 'Thermawrap' type bubble foil.
Am I right in assuming I can just staple the foil to the faces of the rafters, which would give me a 75mm air gap? If so , if I then decide to board over the foil, would I need to fix battens to the rafters to create an air gap between the foil and the boards..if so what depth battens would I need?
Any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you asking from a "keep it under the radar" diy point of view, or a building reg's pukka job?

Hi
From a DIY point of view...just something to keep dust/mess off the layouts. As it will only be used occasionally, I am not fully converting the loft..just merely trying to utilise it a bit more if possible. Does your concern relate to the 'boarding over' the foil...would I have any problems if I just left the foil visible? Is there any other product I could use ?
Thanks

My main concern would be condensation in the cold winter months.

Any measures you take to conserve heat and prevent condensation will inevitably help, but may only be a token gesture. I have little faith in the thinner foil insulators, but i guess it will be better than nowt. The insulation in the loft floor will have no bearing whilst you are in the loft.

Using foil backed plasterboard may help also.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

Could you suggest any alternatives for the rafters? I didn`t really want to spend too much if possible..as it may only be a short term venture.
I cannot fully convert the loft as there is insufficient headroom..so if you advise against it, then I can save myself the cost of the Velux window...as there would be no reason to fit one.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back