Rafter insulation options for a converted loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We have a nice big loft space, that's been boarded out on top of 9 x 3 joists. There's 2 layers of 150mm fibre glass between the joists, and no vapour barrier. The rooms below are never cold because of the loft void, so I know that the insulation between joists is doing it's job.

I now need to insulate between the rafters, so that I can actually spend time in the loft in the winter without the need for oil filled radiators :) What would be the best option?

I want to still see the rafters, so am thinking that cutting celotex to size and fitting is my best option. As we have an old cottage, nothing is straight or true, so each panel will have to be cut to specific size. There's a lot of roof space to cover, so I'll slowly chip away at the project over the next few months, just wondered if anyone could suggest another solution to insulating between rafters? I'll probably have to use celotex that's less than 20mm thick, so as to ensure that there's enough air flow behind. Ventilation via the sofits is very good, and I want to keep it this way

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Are you carrying out these works to BR standards (i.e. submitting a BR application)?

Are you carrying out these works to BR standards (i.e. submitting a BR application)?

that's not something I'd thought of; will research the standards, but wont be submitting a BR application. (well, I wasn't planning to do so). afaik (so please correct me), wont the lack of BR approval only be a problem should I come to sell the house? Seeing as we're not moving anywhere, or planning to, any other problems I should consider?

excuse the naivety!

How much time are you expecting to spend there ? Both in total hours and in separate periods ?

Sponsored Links
How much time are you expecting to spend there ? Both in total hours and in separate periods ?

No one will be living in it, but the plan is to move my weights up there, and also for Mrs Tapir to use as somewhere to paint/be creative.

So in total hours, I'd have thought maximum 4 hours, couple of times a week (if it's weights, then an hour, really)

Since your loft insulation prevents heat rising from below, the only heat in the loft will be what you generate unless you add another source, so even with insulated rafters you will still need to burn/plug something in or freeze .

How deep are the rafters ? Were you thinking of covering the celotex at all or leaving it visible ?

Since your loft insulation prevents heat rising from below, the only heat in the loft will be what you generate unless you add another source, so even with insulated rafters you will still need to burn/plug something in or freeze .

How deep are the rafters ? Were you thinking of covering the celotex at all or leaving it visible ?

Thanks for the feedback mountainwalker, very good points there, and something to consider.

For the time being, I'l leave the celotex as it is, maybe paint over it one day

Thanks for the feedback mountainwalker, very good points there, and something to consider.

For the time being, I'l leave the celotex as it is, maybe paint over it one day

paint over celotex...good luck lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back