raidiant combi boiler overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey, need some advice please. I have a fairly new (5ish years) radiant 20E combi boiler, which is overheating and shutting itself off within half an hour of turning the heating on. several red lights come on one at a time which are supposed to indicate sensor failure if they are flashing, but they dont flash, then it turns itself off. there is no sludge in the system, the water level has been topped up and the radiators checked to let air out. Does anyone know what it means when these lights come on but dont flash? they are lights 11, 12 and 13 in fig 2 of the manual http://www.radiantboiler.com/radiantmanuals/Sliminstruction99943NA.pdf if that helps. any advixce appreciated as im freezing!

Sponsored Links
could be my browser, but the manual freezes so no help there.
never seen one like this but seems like standard small combi
when did this start?
have you done anything at all to the system?
how do you know it is over heating?
how do you know there is no sludge?
when was it last serviced?

If they don't flash it sounds to me that they are just indicating the water temp in the boiler.

Just because you say there is no sludge in the system does not mean that there is none!

I suggest that you remove the pump head for a start and look for dirt in the eye of the impeller!

Tony

Sponsored Links
this has been happening for around a month. i had it seviced a year ago. i have British G homecare, so a guy came to look at it, said the problem was sludge causing it to overheat and quotesd me 600 quid (!!) for a powerflush. i got a few quotes from other CORGI engineers who all said much as they would love to take my money there was no evidence of sludge; ie the radiators were very hot all the way down when the heating ws on and he checked the water and the filter. the heating stays on for a bit then turns off, and i have to press the lock out button (button 2) to relight it. this new (more honest?) engineer has suggested that it may be a problem with the flame ignition electrodes. does this sound sensible?

the manual it says that if the lock out button lights up it means the boiler is heating up too fast and overheating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back