Rain entering through gas fire vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had problems with water entering the loft via the gas flue which is connected to a fire place in our living room (there is no fire installed at this point). I could see water on the outside of the pipe in the loft when raining heavily.

I believe it is a B-Vent system, where it has dual-walled pipes - an inner one for carrying away the fumes and an outer one for insulation/protection.

I have included a picture of the flue where it exits the roof.

A roofer came over and had a look and saw that where the flaunching met the pipe had no sealant around it. He put a load of sealant down and also sealed around the storm collar for good effect.

However, this doesn't seem to have solved the problem entirely. I suspect that water is also entering inside the outer pipe and then leaking out of one of the joins. I could seal these joins up, but I imagine this just directs the water elsewhere in the house to collect and cause damage.

The rain cap appears to be in good condition and I'm not really sure where else water could enter so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any advice would be appreciated, but I'd also like to know:

1.) If water ingresses the outer pipe does there tend to be a drain away point for this or not?
2.) Is water ingress of the outer pipe common? Should I be concerned?
3.) Where else could the water be entering?

I wasn't sure if this was the most suitable place to post this, or if there is a gas/fire forum I should put this on instead - however I appreciate you taking your time to read this post anyway.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I fitted one of those last week and the cowl was much larger are you sure that is the correct one.

Thanks for your reply - It is the cowl that was installed when the house was built about 10 years ago.

Only been in the house a year ourselves, but the leak has definitely been happening for several years.

Sponsored Links
The rainwater wont be getting inside the twinwall more likely the weathering slate or the collars need looked at again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back