rain water and kitchen waste going in single drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My rain water and my kitchen sink waste go into a the same hop and down into a single drain.

It's an old victorian conversion first floor flat. I am moving the kitchen but I have no alternative but to use the same drain for the kitchen waste. Is this okay? I heard that old victorian builds usually have a single drainage system for both clean water and grey waste water.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Easiest thing would be to lift a downstream manhole and flow test the toilet and rainwater gully.

If the house was as original then you'd be fairly safe in your assumption (that everything is going into foul drainage). But do check (find foul manhole, confirm with buckets of water down hopper)- not unknown on shoddy conversions for builders to take a shortcut and drop grey water (kitchen, bathwater, washing machine waste) into surface water drains

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back