raised deck onto sloping slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am fitting raised decking in the back garden, the area near the house is slabed but it is on a slope it drops around 1 foot from one end of the deck to the other so the slabs are on a fair old slope. i will be using post feet to keep the timber off the slabs. i was wondering whether cutting the bottom of the posts at an angle to make the posts stand straight and true when fitted into the post feet (which will obviously mean the post feet sit at an angle) or i can lift the slabs and level the dirt and then re lay the slabs as there is about 6 inches of soil on top of the solid concrete below the slabs.

any ideas ???

thanks

Sponsored Links
since the slabs will be under the decking then lift the lot and put in post footings..

you can donate the slabs to someone else on freecycle or other site, and often they will lift them for you, saving you the bother.

the post feet i have bought are the bolt down type not the concrete in type and if you do mean concrete in type footings then that is out of the question as water and sewer pipes are under where the decking/posts would be ( i assume thats why it is solid concrete) and the ground is solid concrete once you dig down a foot under the slabs. also the concrete under the slabs is on the same slope as the slabs i mentioned so would laying onto the slabs (levelled or whatever) not be less hastle ?????

probably, but slope + heavy stuff = heavy stuff sliding down the slope.. :)

if you can level the slabs and are happy that they won't move then go for it..
the bolt down anchors could be put on top of the concrete piles ( set the bolt into the wet concrete.. saves drilling the hole...:) )

please note I'm a sparky and only going on the numerous decks I've seen constructed on the telly.. mainly americans though.. gotta love steve and norm.. :)

Sponsored Links
im a tommy walsh man myself lol ! yeah i wasnt too sure about putting heavy decking onto slabs which were not level as i said digging out and concreting is not an option and as i already have the slabs i thought it might be easier to try and level the ground then re lay the slabs and stand the posts on the levelled slabs but i am an ex car mechanic with some limited joinery experience so im handy but not clued up on the correct way to do these type of things

all help is appreciated !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back