Raising Garage Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

im about to start converting half my garage into a utility room. It already has water and electrics already in there. The garage floor needs to be raised. It already has a concrete floor which i have been advised already has a dpm. I was going to do this by laying timber frame and putting tongue and groove sheets on top.
Do i need to put any insulation between timber joists, or do i need to leave in empty to allow air to circulate and vent end going into garage.

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
You would insulate between the joists and allow one or two airbricks at each end of the garage which will give you the ventilation below the floor joists.
An easy way of insulating between the joists is (assuming you are using a 2" rigid insulation board) is to either nails roof lat along each joist 2" down or hammer a clout nail in every 12" or so and then when you fit your insulation in it won't fall down in time to come making it useless.

Three sides of the floor will be against the internal walls of the garage. And the fourth will going into remainder of garage. I was going to build a stud partition wall. How do i ventilate the floor

Also do i need to use any specific insulation in the wall or any particular type of plasterboard

why not lay insulation boards down then screed it. it is better to have a cement based solid floor for a utility room surely?

what is the floor thickness you are making up?

Sponsored Links
You would insulate between the joists and allow one or two airbricks at each end of the garage which will give you the ventilation below the floor joists.
An easy way of insulating between the joists is (assuming you are using a 2" rigid insulation board) is to either nails roof lat along each joist 2" down or hammer a clout nail in every 12" or so and then when you fit your insulation in it won't fall down in time to come making it useless.

Thanks what 2 inch insulation do u suggest. do i then need a vapour barrier on top of it all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back