Randall 103 timerswitch wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think this must be one of the wierdest setups my plumber has seen. Here's the situation:

The randall 103 timeswitch had some loose and 1 disconnected wire. OK tried putting it all back but something is not quite right. Cos boiler (back boiler) fires up but pump doesn't. Apply an externall power source to pump and it's OK.

The wierdest part is that the red (assuming live) wire from one (of two) 4 core wire is connected to where ALL the Earths are connected. If you take this red wire out the boilers goes off.

Can anyone shed any light? We're pretty certain that it's something very simple that has been overlooked. It was ALL working a few days ago.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
According to my book the connections to the Randall 103 are:-

1=ON
2=Spare
3=Com
4=Earth
5=Neutral
6=Live

Thanks Tipper for you reply.

The problem is that i have two 4 core wires (3 and earth) going into the 103 and am not sure where this 3rd core should go. It's really freaky and wierd cos the 4 core coming FROM the boiler has the red core going to Earth!! and that's the only way the boiler will fire up but the pump won't!
My setup is like this at the moment:
1 - Red core from 1st 4 core wire (This is coming from the 12way junction box upstairs
2 - Yellow core from 1st 4 core wire
3 - Yellow core from 2nd 4 core wire(From Boiler) and a link wire from 6
4 - ALL the Earths plus RED core from 2nd 4 core wire
5 - ALL the neutrals
6 - Live plus linked to 3

I've tried putting the yellows together. When i do that the boiler does NOT fire up. Remember my problem is trying to get the pump to fire up. The Pump works if you apply an external power source so i know it works.

Confused ?

You need to sort out where all the wiring goes and what it is intended to do and then wire it up to an appropriate wiring diagram for your heating.

Don't just cross wires and see if it works as you will probably fuse something, burn out something and/or electrocute yourself and possibly even burn your house down!

Get professional help either an experienced heating guy or an experienced electrician.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you advice Tipper.

The Electrician came down yesterday and said this is straightforward. Made all his connections and.....nothing. Boiler didn't come on and neither did pump.

Showed him the way i thought i saw it connected originally and hey presto the boiler came on but no pump. Applied external power to pump and it started up.
Does the mid position valve really play a role when two of it's wires are absolutely not connected at all?
I think just one wire at the 103 is wrong and can't work out which cos that's the only thing that changed (accidentally of course). Everything else remained intact.

Would appreciate any help you or anyone could offer.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back