Range Powermax 155x - single radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new house (2003 build) earlier this year and there is (what I assume to be a sealed system) Powermax 155x boiler in a cupboard upstairs - thus far the central heating & hot water have worked fine, on demand when needed. Since the weather cooled down I have used the timer programme for CH & HW and again all was working fine - all radiators working OK.

This last weekend I went away and switched the timer off - returned on Sunday and subsequently have been getting no heat from one radiator in my bedroom. The others all work fine. So I looked in the FAQ for this section and found this - my notes for each point are inline. I'm just confused as to why it's suddenly decided to be problematic for just one radiator - the pipes coming from the wall to each end of the radiator are cold suggesting that hot water isn't even reaching it thus probably not a fault with the radiator itself.

Any other ideas on the likely problem?

Robert

ONE (OR MORE) RADIATORS NOT WORKING

CHECK BOILER PRESSURE FIRST. Should be around 1 bar

How do I do this? I can't see an immediately apparent gauge

1) First check that the lockshield valve is fully open and the trv (if fitted) is not stuck.

TRV doesn't seem stuck - how can I check the lockshield valve? Is it the valve at opposite end from the TRV?

2) Turn off all the other rads to force the flow into the cold one(s)

Trying this now

3) Bleed all rads especially offending one

no air at all from the cold rad when I bled it

4) Balance your system (Try here)

Need to investigate this

5) Take off the rad and flush out.

eeek!

6) With the rad off, open both valves(one at a time) to get rid of an airlock and to ensure a healthy flow into a bucket.

double eeek

7) Is the rad a new installation as part of an extension etc?. Look at how it has been piped up. Better flow is achieved when it is fed straight off the flow and return.

same as it's been since the house built I guess and nothing changed since I moved in

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back