Range Tribune HE cylinder fitted with immersion heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi grateful for some help here. My 81 year old mum moved into a new flat about a year ago (which she owns and it only has electricity, no gas) It is fitted with a Range Tribune hot water cylinder (photo attached) and it looks like it is connected to two immersion switches. One has cables leading to the bottom of the cylinder. I assume this is for the cheaper 'off peak' rate Economy 7 and one has cables leading to the middle of the cylinder (assuming this is for the more expensive 'peak' day rate) See photos attached (the immersion switch with the red lights is the day 'peak rate'). I can't see any timers.

For one night, I turned the 'peak rate' immersion switch off to check whether the 'off peak' immersion switch was actually working and heating up the water cylinder. Three red lights appeared from midnight-7am which looked about right for the Economy 7 'off peak' rate but in the morning the cylinder was cold (bottom to top) and there was no hot water. So my question is what could be the problem or should I be switching both immersion switches on all the time? I just want to make sure that my mum gets the most out of the Economy 7 rate and doesn't end up with a high electricity bill for a two-bedroom flat. The flat also have Dimplex storage heaters...but that will be another post!! :(

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 241670591_575747050131968_2116019452852534842_n.jpg
    241670591_575747050131968_2116019452852534842_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 241272879_3783165705240971_7297167286387192936_n.jpg
    241272879_3783165705240971_7297167286387192936_n.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 180
Sponsored Links
1. As you say, the top immersion is really intended for top up only, at the expensive rate electricity.
2. Assuming the switch with red lights is for the bottom immersion, it is possible that (for the lower heater):
2a. The overheat thermostat has tripped. This has to be reset manually, and means removing the cover, exposing mains voltage terminals.
2b. The heater's temperature setting thermostat is set too low or is broken.
2c. The immersion heater element has gone.

Thanks oldbuffer that's helpful. So going on what you've written above I need to call in an electrician rather than a plumber am I right? :)

1. A decent plumber will be able to sort out the electrics.
2. Because the economy rate is only on overnight you can't realistically use a clamp meter to detect if any current is passing, unless you start at midnight!
3. If you have a multimeter and are comfortable working close to mains voltages then you could:
3a. Isolate the power at the consumer units. There is likely to be one for normal rate and one for cheap rate.
3b. Remove the cover by undoing the small nut holding the white cap to the body of the heater.
3c. If there is an overheat thermostat, press it in, using a paper clip if its a shielded one. If you feel it click that's the most likely cause of the problem.
3d. Measure continuity across the ordinary thermostat. The ordinary one slides into a pocket within the heater, and is wired in series with the element. Put the meter on continuity range, and turn the thermostat adjuster (usually has a screwdriver slot in it) backwards and forwards. As it passes the set temperature it will make or break the contact, giving you a continuity reading or no continuity. If faulty, it can be replaced, but see below.
3e. Set the multimeter to the resistance (ohms) range and measure the resistance of the heating coil. It should be around 18 ohms. If zero or infinite, then the whole heater needs replacing.
4. You have an unvented hot water cylinder. Any repair work on these may only be undertaken by someone with a current "G3" certificate, as they can be dangerous if not repaired properly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again oldbuffer for your advice and information. I think this will call for a decent plumber as you say! With the help of a plumber (who was fixing something else) I pressed the overheat thermostat with a paper clip and have now tested the Economy 7 thermostat for two days and there is no hot water and the hot water cylinder is cold. Thanks again!

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-with-immersion-heaters.577428/#ixzz76Ea93IYw

Thanks again oldbuffer for your advice and information. I think this will call for a decent plumber as you say! With the help of a plumber (who was fixing something else) I pressed the overheat thermostat with a paper clip and have now tested the Economy 7 thermostat for two days and there is no hot water and the hot water cylinder is cold. Thanks again!

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-with-immersion-heaters.577428/#ixzz76Ea93IYw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back