Rangemaster 90 - noisy fan - recurring problem - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 10 year old Range and the fan in the electric oven started getting noisy, a rumbling/humming sound. I had a chap out to fix it, he replaced it and for 6 months it was fine and then it gradually started getting noisy again until it was back to how it was. So I had a different chap out 2 months ago who again replaced it and again it was fine for 6 weeks this time but then it starts getting intermittently noisy, and after a couple of weeks it is now constantly noisy again.

My guess is it not the fan itself but something else? How its screwed in?

Your help would be much appreciated as im not mechanically minded and I have the guy coming out again in 2 days and I would like to be able to point him in the right direction so this doesnt happen again as its getting expensive.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can check this yourself, inside the oven at the back of the oven there is a back panel.

It's held in position with four screws undo them and take the back panel out of the oven. Sit in front of the oven and turn it on, you'll see the impellor spinning ...is it noisey then other than the noise of the impellor ? turn it off as the impellor slows down does it run true or seem to wobble ? it should run true, if it looks like it wobbles it might simply need reseating. Undo the centre nut LEFT HAND THREAD ! so turn it clockwise to Undo it. Take it off and simply put it back on carefully tightening it gradually . ...spin it to see if it runs true. BE CAREFULL DON'T RUN IT FOR LONG WITH THE BACK OFF AND THE ELEMENT WILL BE HOT !!!!

Then bend the back panel ( it's easy ) in the centre where the slots are to make sure it doesn't catch the vanes on the impellor. so the back panel is concave towards the centre of the oven ......a rattle can be the vanes catching the back panel too.

Rangemaster fans usually last for years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back