Rat or mouse??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some tapping and scratching/gnawing sounds in the ceiling but not seen any physical evidence so put a camera in the eaves storage and caught the culprit.
Camera didn't get a great view unfortunately - I have tweaked the positioning and will see if I get another shot (and I've ordered some mouse traps), but any thoughts from this?

mor.gif

Full frame still for scale...
1709658351611.png

Sponsored Links
Rat!

Andy
hmm, thats my worry - not sure the mouse traps will be big enough (they are humane ones that just trap it inside). My local council does a free rat and mouse poison service so might be best just calling them in.

You need to get that sorted asap.

Rats like the taste of electric cable and can do a huge amount of damage very quickly

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
hmm, thats my worry - not sure the mouse traps will be big enough (they are humane ones that just trap it inside). My local council does a free rat and mouse poison service so might be best just calling them in.
You don't want to poison them in the house, they die in a corner that you'll never find, and stink the place out for years.

You can get humane as well as snap traps for rats. Search on Google.

I have seen a rat outside in our garden, but hopefully as we have two cats, it won't venture into the house.

There's the answer: cats, preferably two.

Rat and mouse trap arrived yesterday - decided to lay the big one, but new footage looks more like a small mouse with those big ears! it ran around outside the trap, showing no interest, then ran off. There's always the chance its not the same animal I snapped in my first post
1709797098694.png

Rat and mouse trap arrived yesterday - decided to lay the big one, but new footage looks more like a small mouse with those big ears! it ran around outside the trap, showing no interest, then ran off. There's always the chance its not the same animal I snapped in my first post
View attachment 335669
Definitely a mouse

Rodents are hyper sensitive to change on their normal route or territory, it will take time before they venture close to a trap.

Most certainly mouse. I caught a rustle in the rockery and assumed ours was making her way home yesterday. They prefer the night; nice n' quiet. Best put your cornflakes on a higher shelf.

On a slightly related note - i dredged the pond this morning and found a huge bubble of frog spawn lurking 'neath the duckweed. First spawn for four years. Looking forward to the patter of tiny feets by Samhain. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back