Rated People - Formerly Rated Tradesmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know if anyone here subscribes to this lead generating website but I have noticed an interesting phenomenon and I wondered if anyone has any theories on this puzzling conundrum.

For those that don’t know, potential leads are listed on the website and sent via email and SMS. Customer feedback is scrolled on the top of the website via a marquee, so you can read and click on customer comments for any contractor.

Now, here’s the puzzle. The leads that come through to me seem to be written exclusively in txt speak by a particularly illiterate ten year old who is ripped to the t*ts on skunk.

An example of a typical lead might be ….

“biler brk nd fix tday n watr or ht” or

“smll plubing jobs needs too taps fix lking heastr urrgnt”

Since there is no babel-fish type translator it is left to you as to whether it is worth £14 plus VAT to get the contact details from these charmers.

However, the published scrolling feedback reads like an old Pathe newsreel, dripping in Received Pronunciation such as …

“Roger from xyz arrived promptly and was scrupulously clean. He is fastidiousness personified”

Or

“Arbuthnot was simply a delight. I would not hesitate to let him drink from the servant’s crockery”

Now, what I don’t understand is how you get from one to the other. Maybe I’m getting all of the duffers – anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I had a little dabble on this a few months ago, on the free trial period. I got one decent job (full installation) out of it, but then packed it in cos I thought that most of the leads would be a waste of time and money. Have you been on there for a while, and how do you find it? I mean, if you pick and choose your leads carefully, do you think it's worth the money.

I’m very dubious. I’ve been with them for about a year and got maybe five jobs which is frankly pathetic when you consider that it costs about £45 per quarter to stay registered, plus the fee for the lead details.

What I cannot understand is why would someone place a lead on a site like this for say a heating breakdown and then be completely unobtainable when you pay for their details. Very, very suspicious in my opinion.

The other thing is that the site gives the prospect the opportunity to specify a budget for the works. The minimum is under £100 and you’d be amazed at how many people think that this would be the cost to install a new shower, supply & fit three new rads, fix a system etc. in London FFS.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I think I'd be giving that a miss if I was you. Try heatinginstallers.co.uk, they give a trial period as well. Then if you don't fancy it you just give them the elbow. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back