Rattling Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a hot water system with two pumps. The first loop is original to the house: radiators w/ iron pipes. The second is copper pipes with heating through aluminum fins. Each loop has its own Bell & Gosset Little Red Booster pump, thermostat, and Bell & Gosset Flo-Control valve. Lately when the second pump starts up, the pipes start clattering horribly all the time that the pump is going. I don't recall offhand if the first pump may also cause the clattering. Both pumps are pretty new. I have managed on one occasion to stop the vibration by opening one of the radiators, but that seemed to be a fluke. There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to stop the vibration. I don't know where to bleed the second loop. I think the Flo-Control valve for the first loop is stuck open. The expansion tank was emptied fairly recently (2 years ago). The noise is getting to be rather annoying.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back