rattling radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone save my sanity? when the heating is on the rad in the lounge rattles really loud. I have to turn down the thermostat to make it go off, but sure enough it does it every 20 mins or so until the heating goes off. we have a Worcester 9.24 combi which is about 14 yrs old. Its been happening on and off for about 2 years now and its got worse and more regular. The rad hes been bled and theres been no changes to the system. I would really appreciate any advice you can offer.
thanks in anticipation,
Strutty

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a faulty Thermostatic rad valve. Try removing the thermostatic head from the body of the valve. (Usually unscrews). This will keep the valve wide open. Run the heating as normal and see if the rattle stops. If so you need a new thermostatic valve.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your input Mac1, we will give it a try and let you know the result.
cheers
Strutty

you could also try reducing the flow through the radiator. If water is not squirting through the TRV so fast it will rattle less.

At the opposite end will be a lockshield valve (like an ordinary radiator valve). It may have a plastic cover over the spindle that you pull off, possibly after removing a retaining screw. You can turn the spindle down to reduce flow.

Be aware that if the room is on the cold side, reducing flow will reduce the heat output of the rad. Keep a note of how many turns you have given it in case you need to adust it back.

Sponsored Links
Ain't it marvelous !!! Ever since I posted my letter about the radiator rattling its been as quiet as a mouse!!! Sods Law I suppose but I will keep your suggestions handy in case it starts again. Anyway thanks a bundle to the lads for the "antidotes", maybe I'll get to use them!!!
Cheers to you all and have a Merry Christmas!!!
Strutty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back