Ravenheat Combi needs its bum warming to start up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Ravenheat RSF 82 Fanned Combi will not fire up without an electric fan heater warming it up for 30 minutes first.

The house is empty. C/H was drained down around Sept 2012, but when freezing weather set in during December 2012 the C/H system was filled and set to run twice per day to keep house aired.

All was well until one freezing day when the boiler hadn’t fired up as per the timer . . I noticed a long icicle dangling from the pressure relief pipe on the outside wall. Also the system pressure had dropped to less than 1 bar, yet it had been filled to 1.5 bar previously.

I thought that the un-insulated PRV copper pipe outside had frozen and shut down the boiler (BTW it’s not a condensing boiler) so put an electric fan heater under the boiler which (I thought at the time) thawed it out and made it work.

Well, here we are 3 months later. I’ve had to do the heater trick many times now to make the boiler fire up when I’ve twice weekly checked on the house . . even have to do it when it’s not a freezing day ?? and it works every time but the house is now Sold and I’d like to fix the problem properly, but simply can’t afford to buy a new boiler for the new owners.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I cannot guess whats wrong but my advice would be to get a competent boiler engineer to diagnose and repair the fault!

Receiving over £100,000 for the house then I would have expected that you could afford to replace the boiler for about £1,500 !

Tony

Recharge or replace the expansion vessel; The pressure switch is holding it out, your fan heater warms up and expands the water sufficiently to make the switch.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

All was well until one freezing day when the boiler hadn’t fired up as per the timer . . I noticed a long icicle dangling from the pressure relief pipe on the outside wall. Also the system pressure had dropped to less than 1 bar, yet it had been filled to 1.5 bar previously.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thats a good possibility that the pressure is low.

But he seems to know it should be pressurised to 1.5 Bar.

Tony
!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back