rayburn number one smells of chemicals inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rayburn had a few places inside the stove, where the wood burns, that were cracked, or the cement that held the fire bricks together had come loose. I have filled all those cracks and holes with fire resistant mortar/cement. Before I put it into the kitchen I have burned some logs in it for about an hour. No smoke was coming out any cracks. i then tried to check the back boiler but couldnt get it out as the screws are too tight and old. thats ok as i dont want to use the back boiler and it might be broken anyway, I moved the rayburn into the kitchen and noticed a chemical smell coming from it. I opened the oven and I am guessing it used to be silver in colour inside, but most of the silver colour was gone and it is covered in a light film of rust. The smell of chemicals or plastic is very strong inside this oven and I am worried about it being poisenous. It gives me a headache and really stinks bad. could it have something to do with the rust?
I have googled this all evening but the only thing I have come across is someone suggesting that it might be the fire resistant cement that i put in, but does that stink even when the stove it cold??

Sponsored Links
I have tried cleaning it with vinigar and water which overpowered the smell at first but now it stinks even worse.
does anyone know what the oven has been treated with? It is silver, but surely it cant be lead?! it smells very toxic.

It might take a few fires in it to remove any smells.
My guess is the back boiler has some sludge left in it with inhibitor in it.

Anyway a few fires will burn off anything.
If your not using the back boiler and only using it for cooking
you'll soon get bored with the rayburn anyway.

When it takes about an hour or more to get up to temperature
for cooking your dinner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back