RCBOs in a Split load CU

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK call me crazy, but it's just an idea.

With your help and advice I plumped for a 17 way split load CU to be fitted. But then seeing the comments about 17th ed, thought maybe all RCBOs would be better. Unfortunately cost and the fact that I would lose so may slots seems to push me back to split load.

Now my non rcd side was only going to have the 3 radials for 2 ovens and a cooker on it so probably not a problem. But I just thought about rogue trips for our freezers and fridge. As they are on the kitchen ring, can't put them on straight the non-rcd side (socket reasonably used etc...) but what about RCBO on the non-rcd side? Th kitchen ring final would still be RCD protected, but not affected by trips elsewhere in house?

Am I mad?

Sponsored Links
Basically you have three choices.
Put it on an RCBO,wire in the freezer/fridge on its own 4mm radial or leave as it is.
Ours has been on an RCD kitchen ring along with washing machine for years and we've had no trouble with tripping.

you say you have three non-RCD kitchen radials.

Unless the ovens are very big, they would run off a 13A plug. In which case you could provide an extra socket on this circuit for the freezer.

However, it would be better to use an FCU with flex outlet, to prevent anyone plugging in the lawn mower to the unprotexted socket. Some people use an FCU and a round-pin (unfused) plug.

Watery appliances such as washing machines and kettles tend to have slight earth leakage and are a source of nuisance tripping.

new radial is not practical as fridge/freezer and other freezer are not co-located.

I could leave it to be oput on combined RCD side, but having suffered a freezer failure due to a trip in a previous house over a weekend away, I was just thinking seperate RCBO on non-rcd side would be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
you say you have three non-RCD kitchen radials.

Unless the ovens are very big, they would run off a 13A plug. In which case you could provide an extra socket on this circuit for the freezer.

However, it would be better to use an FCU with flex outlet, to prevent anyone plugging in the lawn mower to the unprotexted socket. Some people use an FCU and a round-pin (unfused) plug.

Watery appliances such as washing machines and kettles tend to have slight earth leakage and are a source of nuisance tripping.
John, you were previously one of the main inputs to my deision to go for the radials.
The ovens are each a total consumption of 3.8kW and the hob 10.8Kw.

PS feel free to recommend a good quality make for the DPs, FCUs and sockets in my thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107409

putting the kitchen on a rcbo to reduce the chance of unwanted tripping doesn't seem like it will be very effective to me, most of the appliances likely to cause unwanted trips are probablly already in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back