RCCB / plugs tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ... I need the assistance of someone with some knowledge ... We were just sat here when all the sockets in the house went. No lights, just sockets ... Went under the stairs and the RCCB had gone ... What is confusing us is that both the upstairs and downstairs sockets went, and they are on different fuses. It's a rented house and the electrics are in some places a tad dodgy so would like some idea of what's going on if anyone can help ... Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
What were you doing when it tripped? Any outside electrics and was it raining?

Wife and I were watching TV upstairs, daughter was downstairs watching TV, noone was plugging or unplugging or switching ...There's no exterior electrics and it's not raining ... Previously we had an issue with a plug socket in the extension but that was only in times of heavy rain ... Hope that helps

What is confusing us is that both the upstairs and downstairs sockets went, and they are on different fuses.
But on the same RCD, so if that trips then they will of course all go off. How can that be confusing?

It's a rented house and the electrics are in some places a tad dodgy so would like some idea of what's going on if anyone can help ... Thank you in advance
What happens when you turn it back on?

Sponsored Links
Its confusing me because the RCCB is on the same panel as all the sockets and lights in the house. We have had it in the past where one has gone because of a faulty extension lead or dodgy device, but for both up and down sockets to go but the lights to stay on, that was what caused my confusion (plus having 4 kids doesn't help my brain at all) ... and now that it's all switched on, everything is fine again, just hoping that this house doesn't have another flaw, it's got enough bloody problems as it is.

It may be in the same consumer unit, but it won't cover all the circuits. Is/are the lighting breaker(s) on a different side to it than the socket ones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back