RCCB Trip Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a new outdoor installation fitted a week ago with the main CU getting its seperate supply from the meter keeping the house and outdoor seperate.

Today I used power from one of the sockets and I went back tonight and went to switch the light on and no power. The Incomming RCCB was tripped.

What would cause it to trip?

TT setup is as follows:

setup.jpg

I was using the power from CU3 earlier that day and none of the mcb's in CU2+3 were tripped, just CU1.

Is it likely that there wasn't enough power since the socket mcb in CU3 didn't trip for overload which I was using?

The Cable from CU1 - 2 - 3 is a min of 16mm which was fitted so that future electric installations could be fitted with no need for changing the cable.

The installation was tested as I needed the paperwork.

For a new installation its not a good start if the Main switch trips on first use.

Cheers for any help.[/img]

Sponsored Links
The paperwork I received only had minor details such as 80A RCD for main CU and it was a TT setup stating where the earth rod was.

Thats all that really was on the paper work with no real readings as the paperwork sheet didn't need it. Can't look now as I had to post it due to grant work clearance.

The installation was tested as I needed the paperwork.

OK

The paperwork I received only had minor details such as 80A RCD for main CU and it was a TT setup stating where the earth rod was

Thats all that really was on the paper work with no real readings as the paperwork sheet didn't need it. Can't look now as I had to post it due to grant work clearance.

This does not tie in with the above. An EIC needs to be completed for electrical work. Since it was outside, Part P is also required. Can you not get the original cert and put the results on here, then we maybe able to help.

Sponsored Links
Have to wait a while for the original to come back. They didn't accept photocopies and I never made one as the copier lay down the day I had to post it.

I'm in NI so no Part P and maybe our paperwork is different.

Haven't used the power today but when I do use it again shortly and it trips, I'll get the sparky back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back