RCCB TRIPPED, CAN'T GET POWER BACK ON

Sponsored Links
Not sure it's been in that position since i bought the house.

Sponsored Links
So to clarify:
All the electrics are off at the second(first picture) consumer unit, but every thing else is on from your main consumer unit(second picture).
The problem could lie in a number of areas:
Ideally you need some test equipment to test for voltage, this would be a great help to elimination locations and electrical items, this will determine at what point the fault starts.
If you feel confident enough, I would isolate system, then remove cover of main consumer unit and check both live and neutral conductors are not loose from the MCB indicated in your last picture.
If that is okay, still under isolation check that the tails at the second unit are also secured and not loose.
I would suggest that you either buy or lend, a multimeter or voltage indicator to prove the installation is dead prior to working on it.
If you can get a voltage indicator or multimeter, once system is back live and the fault is still occurring then you need to start testing for voltage at the second and main units.
It is possible that the RCCB or the MCB has failed and need replacing.

The way the op drip fed detail, and my gut feeling on ability (please don't take offence) I would suggest the best way forward is to ask a qualified electrician to come round , test and fix.

Yes to clarify all the electrics are off at the second(first picture) consumer unit, but every thing else is on from your main consumer unit(second picture).

Yes I think the best option is to get an electrician in. If the MCB was to have been tripped/blown would it need replacing?

No sorry i don't have one of those.

View media item 44517
One of the MCB's has tripped - which circuit does that control?
If it is not the one linked to the outside which one is it?

32A MCB two from Main isolator, between up and downstairs lights.
Why is that open (down/off)?

View media item 44517

Not sure it's been in that position since i bought the house.

Try the test button on the garage trip outside first see if it trips off.

That inside crabtree trip is also showing a red indicator possibly thats tripped to the middle if they do that, you could press the yellow test button see if it does anything, make sure nothing important like computers in use as it may turn things off, then push it down and bring back up again.

Yes I think the best option is to get an electrician in. If the MCB was to have been tripped/blown would it need replacing?

All he will probably do is switch that 2nd mcb on first, you could try that, you can always turn it back off again, but at least you will eliminate it

That inside crabtree trip is also showing a red indicator possibly thats tripped to the middle if they do that, you could press the yellow test button see if it does anything.
If that had tripped might he not have noticed the lack of shower, cooker, and sockets in the house by now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back