RCD adaptor trips main fuseboard RCD when tested

I would have thought once a week would be more than enough, monthly would do.

It doesn't matter if cable gets wet as long as it is undamaged and the terminations at the ends are indoors. But outdoor electrical stuff is more easily damaged.

BTW if you had the transformer inside, and ran a 12v cable to the car, you wouldn't have this worry. My bike transformer comes with terminals that you can attach to the battery, and a plug-on lead from the charger. I presume you are talking about an old car that isn't often used.

Sponsored Links
AS I have said it is in use 24 hours a day. Does that mean I should test it every day
Sorry - I'd forgotten that you used it 24x7.

Stop using it - the one in your CU will be sufficient. How often do you check that, BTW?

For the non-french speakers/google users :) :

"Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit" - "Who lives without folly is not so wise as he thinks"

François VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld, le Prince de Marcillac (1613-09-15 – 1680-03-17) was a noted French author of maxims and memoirs, as well as an example of the accomplished 17th-century nobleman.

john d

My car is 14 years old and has only done 18200 miles since I bought it in August 1995. It is a Rover 214 sei

It only did 520 miles last year.

I was in the AA and it was embarrassing to call them out every year for nothing more than a flat battery. Apart from that I was wasting money in petrol taking the car a run to recharge the battery, so it was cheaper to spend £50 on a top of the range battery charger and cancel my AA subscription.

I have been using this charger for 2 years and it is first class. Also, I don't need to buy a battery now every 18 months to 2 years!

The added bonus since moving home is that I can charge the battery in the car without disconnecting it and carrying it up 4 flights of stairs :oops:

I'm far too old for that anyway :LOL:

ban-all-sheds
I've only tested the mains RCD twice since I bought the house in February, and that was only each time the RCD adaptor tripped it :oops:

BTW I only moved into the house six weeks ago, and have only been charging the car battery outside in the last two weeks, so as you can see I haven't checked the main RCD very often!

Sponsored Links
BTW if you had the transformer inside, and ran a 12v cable to the car, you wouldn't have this worry. My bike transformer comes with terminals that you can attach to the battery, and a plug-on lead from the charger. I presume you are talking about an old car that isn't often used.
If you consider doing it this way make sure there is an appropriate fuse between your charge cable and the car battery. Damage to the charge cable could short the battery and shorted car batteries can supply hundreds of amps and without a fuse to stop them will supply those currents for plenty long enough to melt your charge cable and possiblly do other serious damage.

john d

My car is 14 years old and has only done 18200 miles since I bought it in August 1995. It is a Rover 214 sei
ban-all-sheds
Everybody tells me to sell the car and use taxis. I stopped smoking and eating fatty foods. This is my only pleasure in life ;)
You keep a car like that for pleasure? :eek:

I'd assumed it was a wonderful old classic.

I was wasting money in petrol taking the car a run to recharge the battery, so it was cheaper to spend £50 on a top of the range battery charger
Do you have any idea how much money you are wasting on petrol by only doing journeys so short that the engine and gearbox don't reach operating temperature?

To say nothing of the money you're wasting on servicing a car that you are gradually destroying.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour..._en-GBGB302GB302&q=short+journeys+engine+life

You keep a car like that for pleasure?

I'd assumed it was a wonderful old classic.

It's a wonderful old classic to me because it will be the last car I will ever own before I go to the Rover assembly line in the sky, as I am getting to the age where I might be refused a licence :rolleyes:

What makes you think I get it serviced? It has only had one paid for £100 service in all the time I have owned it. Shows you how good a car it it is :LOL:

leave him alone, Bas. If he wants to keep it, then let him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back