RCD MCB queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I have an old style fuse box with the fuses replaced with RCDs, the box has used all of the available slots for fuses however I am trying to install a shower. What do I need to buy to solve my problem a RCD or a MCB. I presume that an auxilliary unit will be needed but which type, my intended shower will be an 8.5kv

Sponsored Links
You need both an RCD and an MCB. The MCB gives you overload and short circuit protection, the RCD gives you supplementary protection against electric shock. You can get these combined in a purpose-made 'shower consumer unit'.

But it's not so straightforward as that. From the installation you've described (They're MCB's by the way, not RCD's) it's a pretty fair bet that you have no supplementary bonding in your bathroom and quite probably insufficient equipotential bonding and earthing.

Bathrooms are considered special locations as far as the wiring regulations are concerned and, as such (considering you didn't know the difference between an RCD and an MCB) a new shower install is beyond the average DIY-er.

This topic has been covered stacks of time in the past on this site - try a search - but I'd still recommend you call in a professional.

Thanks for your prompt reply,

I am getting a clearer picture that I should probably be calling in a qualilfied sparky

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back