rcd needed????

S

scotteng

ok adding an additional socket to a circuit, i understand it will need rcd proptection, but if im just moving a socket do i need add rcd protection then?

currntly have the old re wireable type fuse box, with no rcd protection!

Sponsored Links
Do you mean physically moving concealed cables from one place to another?

If so then you will need RCD protection for the cable(s) which you conceal, or another method of protection, if you want to comply with the Wiring Regulations.

The socket you are adding will need the RCD protection but seeing as any concealed cables will possibly need protecting as well it makes sense to put the RCD at source and protect all sockets.
You say re-wirable board - what is the state of the rest of the install with regards to earthing and bonding ?

Any new socket or item in a bathroom is likely to need RCD protection.
Assuming Ali-tube cable so no protection required under buried under 50mm rules then unless over 20A for domestic or for labelled outlet i.e. fridge / freezer then RCD protection will be required.

Simple method is use of Ali-tube cable and RCD sockets. I don't understand why DIY sheds still do not stock Ali-tube cable as it is far more likely to be used DIY then by electricians who without the expense of LABC registration can fit RCD's a lot cheaper than the DIY man can fit them.

Sponsored Links
Bathroom? who said anything about a bathroom?

Bathrooms, Sockets under 20A and not labelled for specific use, and cables non in exempt list and buried under 50mm need RCD at 30ma protection.

How does one say this without using the word "Bathroom"?

There is nothing in 17th Edition which says exactly what work would mean the system needs updating however it does indicate that with pure inspection and testing one would just give it code 4.

I would consider any work which would be covered by a Minor Works or Installation Certificate will need to comply with 17th Edition. Anything which would be out of the extent of installation covered by the certificate or listed in details of departures, if any, from BS7671:2008 could be to old regulations.

So looking at original question the socket and cable moved would need to comply. So there are three methods.

1) Use a RCD/FCU at original point.
2) Use surface cable and RCD socket.
3) Use permitted cable (i.e. Ali-tube) buried and RCD socket.

The problem is Part P and BS7671 have different meanings to what is a new circuit.

With Part P it is a new circuit if it is new supply from consumer unit.
With BS7671 it is a new circuit if it has it's own protective device so using a FCU becomes a new circuit.

The Installation Certificate allows one to easily define the extent of installation but the Minor Works Certificate which is suppose to be an easier short form does not allow one to define the extent but uses the word "Works" which I would consider means it only covers what has been worked on.

For the DIY person "Part 3 : Essential tests" becomes a problem as Earth continuity, Insulation resistance, Earth fault loop impedance and RCD operation need expensive meters to test and likely that the only test they can carry out is the polarity test as there are some cheap plug in testers which can do that. So in the main the Minor Works Cert will be blank but I suppose they have do it to "best of my/our knowledge and belief"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back