RCD socket into a wall back box?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm looking for a single wall socket with built in RCD for our kitchen, has anyone seen such a thing?.

Has to fit into a standard wall socket box.

Satin Chrome ideally but to be honest anything will do.

Cheers all!.

Sponsored Links
Readily available in white plastic, generally will fit on a 25mm, although might be shipped with a stand off frame needed to br fitted in order to do so, and might need a little extra care in dressing the cables. Never seen RCD sockets with fancy finches (presemably the RCD makes it look ugly anyway, so why tray and make it look any better!) Why not fit RCD protection to the cirucit rather than a single point (that presumably exists already.... why the need to remedy the lack of RCD to this point, but not to the rest of them?)

You can get RCDs in plastic as a separate block.
so you could fit a plastic one inside a cabinet that feeds the decorative socket?

Sponsored Links
It's our emersion heater supply, on the none RCD side of the fuesbox.

Was hoping to make a usable socket out of it for Wife's new pressure cooker.

I have used active RCD sockets for things like grinding wheels so that on a power cut they will not auto restart, passive RCD sockets are available, however the BS EN number required is not complied with, so in the main not used, as in the main we fit RCD's to comply with regulations, and most consumer units today will take RCBO's so since around same price rather pointless to fit a socket rather than a RCBO, however once outlets reopen their are loads of RCD sockets available, also RCD plugs.

powerbreaker do RCD sockets on a single plate. Coices for finishes seem to be either white plastic or metalclad though.

I'd go RCBO as the moment you make a change to the circuit (Fitting a different accessory) I'll almost lay money the circuit will become non compliant, such as a buried cable etc.

Espacially as single RCD sockets are very bulky and always a real struggle to make fit in any box under 47mm deep.

I've fitted a Sneider (sp)one for now, just managed to fit it in the socket box.

Looking the the fuse box the lighting circuits are not on RCD either so at some point a new consumer unit (and probably re-wire) are on the cards.

House was re-wired around 25 years ago I believe.

There's plenty of wiring much older than 25 years still giving satisfactory service. Age doesn't seem to be a massive issue for PVC insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back