RCD tripping intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had the RCD trip out on about 3 occasions over the last month or so at varying times. When I go to reset it, it does not stay on until I switch off the downstairs socket switch for the kitchen area and then everything works fine. If I try to switch the downstairs sockets on after a couple of minutes it will trip straight away but if I leave it for about 20 minutes and switch it on it then does not trip out.

I have unplugged every appliance apart from the built in fridge and freezer and when I try to turn it back on straight away it always seems to take 20 minutes before it will stay on, is their an explanation of why this takes so long to come back on when hardly anything is connected.

I do have a small old table top fridge that is quite old that maybe the likely culprit as most other appliances are fairly new.

I have a socket tester with the 3 lights that I can test all the socket outlets with and also a digital meter. Is there a way I can do a resistance test on each appliance from the plug. If so what do I put the setting on the meter to and where would the test leads connect onto live and neutral or live and earth.

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
I have unplugged every appliance apart from the built in fridge and freezer and when I try to turn it back on straight away it always seems to take 20 minutes before it will stay on ....
Can you not unplug (or, at least, switch off) the fridge and freezer?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John

Found out what it was. Forgot that the gas boiler is on the same switch and when I turned this off everything was OK. As soon as I switched the power back on to the boiler it tripped so did some investigation and turns out I have a leak on a motorised valve which was dripping onto a Honeywell 2 port valve which was causing the issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John Found out what it was. Forgot that the gas boiler is on the same switch and when I turned this off everything was OK. As soon as I switched the power back on to the boiler it tripped so did some investigation and turns out I have a leak on a motorised valve which was dripping onto a Honeywell 2 port valve which was causing the issue.
Glad you've found the problem!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back