RCD tripping on lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, whenever I use my landing socket for my upstairs light the main RCD trips out. The 6a MCB does not trip. IF I turn this light off I can use the lighting. Just wondered what could suddenly be the fault? The switch, light, MCB or RCD or the wiring which is very old. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, whenever I use my landing socket (do you mean switch) for my upstairs light the main RCD trips out. The 6a MCB does not trip. IF I turn this light off I can use the lighting. Just wondered what could suddenly be the fault? The switch, light, MCB or RCD or the wiring which is very old. Thanks

Has it ever worked? As in has the fault been there since you got someone in to update the cu to an rcd based system?

Do you have more than one lights circuit, as in more than one lighting mcb at the cu?[/b]

apologies I meant switch. Yes it has been working fine. The switch is a 2 way and the light can be turned on from either upstairs or downstairs. Thanks

And there have been absolutely no changes made to any wiring, lights or switches?

Any work which involves drilling or cutting into walls, floors or ceilings?

Anybody been into the loft?

Sponsored Links
no nothing. went to bed all was working fine then this happened. Any ideas??? or were should I start replacing things??

The switch is a 2 way and the light can be turned on from either upstairs or downstairs. Thanks
What happens when you turn it on from downstairs?

Turn the power off & check for loose cables at the switches and the lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back