re-aligning inteior doors-advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two adjacent interior door frames have been fitted out of alignment and it's driving me nuts. I've lived with it for some time but now I need to fix coving above the doors and there's an opportunity to screw it up big time. Anyone got any constructive (sic) tips on how to go about it. The internal walls are stud and board and I can see the problem most likely stems from some poor fitting when they were put up and the finishing joiner made the best of fitting the door frames to minimise the twist. The doors have matching gaps wwhich are easily seen and the architraves sit wildly out of line, which is really obvious as they run beside one another. My thoughts are stripping the woodwork surround and plasterboard off, then trying to re-align the studs but maybe I'm just kidding myself that'll fix it. Anyone have any thoughts? Ideas very welcome. It's the sort of job that most joiners probably wouldn't look at since it's more trouble than it's worth but I'm fed up looking at it over the years but not enough I'd move house over it!!!

Sponsored Links
pics pics pics,
really hard to try and see what needs doing without any,but ill try and guess what needs doing :rolleyes:

is it the wall thats out or the frames?
if its the frames and there painted it may be less hassle for you and decorating etc remove the doors then if you remove the archs and with a recip saw cut the fixings behind the linings then rejig to correct levels/plumb.
if its defo the stud wall and you want the hassle of doing it then i think its as you have said take it back to basics and start all over again. ;)

Thanks gregers and hi to you.
Did a bit of a search and a lot of reading through old posts. Came to conclusion that main problem is the walls are not plumb. Timber frame and internal stud work was thrown up by guys more concerned with the hands on their watch than how straight and plumb some walls were. I reckon the finishing guy who fitted the doorframes and doors did his best to sort out the errors. Original archs were 60mm so no big gaps between them and walls, but a few years later I had 100mm ogee archs fitted and then these two door frames showed their true colours!!! The frames are "out of wind" I believe but because the narrow strip of wall between the doors is not plumb and has a slight twist. My concern is this bit of wall is probably full of studs as it is end on to the dividing wall between the rooms which the adjacent doors open into. Anyway, looks like I'll need to convince my better half that the solution is to make a big mess before sorting it all out. As I'm heading away this week on business, it won't get started till next weekend. Hopefully I can get it looking better before Sunday night :confused: All because I hate the bad door alignment and wonky wall. Still need to fix it before decorating else I'll be even more hacked off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back