New door in Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new door in a timber stud wall. the wall is non load bearing as it infills a space which was previously widened and later closed back up again. there is an existing RSJ I beam above the stud wall carrying the load from above. my door will be around 150mm below the RSJ.

I want to minimize disruption to the in use kitchen where the door will link to a new lobby leading to the garage and WC.

My current plan is as follows: I have measured and marked up the wall on the garage side, and intend to cut through the plasterboard from that side.
I intend to install the new King studs and jack studs (are these necessary), Header and cripple.
I will then drill through the corners from the dirty side to accurately locate them from the clean kitchen side. only then will I go around and cut out the plasterboard from the occupied kitchen side.
I can then screw through from the kitchen side into the new studs so the existing plasterboard is properly fixed to the king and jack and head studs. Then I can fit the new door frame architrave and hang the new door.
Is there any reason this order of events is a bad idea?

I purchased a pre-made door frame. this is 106mm wide. the wall is 12.5 + 63 + 12.5mm = 88mm, therefore it is 18mm narrower than the door frame. I've been advised that I should trim down the frame on a table saw rather than packing out one or both sides of the wall. (I have a Ryobi so I can do this but the blade slips off the vertical which isn't great)

Is this the best course of action or does anyone have recommendations or suggestions?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back