Framing a door

T

timdiyer77

I am currently doing some work on my home (built in 1885). They previous owners put in a door, but did not build a fram for it. They bascially cut out an opening and slapped it in. So, unlike other projects they did, I am starting somewhat from scratch. I now know that my house was built with a balloon frame style. Is there something different or special I need to do in order to build the frame for the new door? It's a prehung 36" door. I was planning using two 2x10's with a 1x8 sandwiched inbetween for the header. I was going to build it to the next exising studs (for my king studs) on both sides and then put in double jack studs next to those. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Clarity me lad Clarity, when you say a door is pre-hung, that would suggest it's part a door set (door and frame) so we have to read between the lines and that's what I've tried to do.
Do you mean a salvaged/set aside door (from some down-taking) that's bean reused in this location/position, or something else?
At 36" it would suggest your describing a fire door (that would be 1 3/4" thick and solid) could it possibly be a door blank they have used??
Can you describe the door and wall/slap in some more detail, some pics would be good??? ...pinenot :)

The door I'm putting in is 36" wide and is prehung (door and frame set). This is where I'm replacing the current door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back