Re-applying Bathroom Silicone Sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!
Forum newbie, so hope you can help me!

About a week ago I re-sealed the edge of my bath with sanitary grade silicone mastic. I raked out and cleaned off all the old sealant and was pleased that I made a pretty neat job of things.

However I smoothed out the bead of fresh sealant using my finger which has resulted in my leaving a slightly concave seal. After a shower, water lies in the slight dip and has to be sponged out and dried off.

My question is this: providing the areas are totally clean and dry, can I
re-apply another bead of sealant on top of the original? Using a edging tool I have found, I want to end up with a 30 to 45 degree bead of mastic that will enable the water to run off.

Or will I have to rake out the new sealant and start all over again?

Any help and tips will be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks
Compo56

Sponsored Links
In my experience silicone sealants don't adhere to themselves very well at all once cured - they just spread about unevenly when you try to smooth them off and end up looking a mess.

I would say that 99% of sealants are smoothed with a finger and end up being slightly concave so you have done nothing wrong but I'm just wondering if you have sealed a gap between the bath and tiles where the tiles don't sit on the edge of the tub. This often gives a well where water collects and ideally all of the tiles should sit on top of the bath rather than going down behind it.

The only real way to find out if you can reseal without removing what you have already applied is to try it. Hopefully it will take and save you having to rake it all out again - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BTW, welcome to the madhouse! :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back