Re-filling my central heading system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to drain my central heating system so I can fit thermostatic valves on all my radiators. I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on how best to re-fill the central heating system once I’ve finished attaching the new valves. It’ an open flue system with 4 radiators upstairs and 5 downstairs. Obviously my concern is introducing an air lock if I don’t do it in the right sequence.

Sponsored Links
The room where you have a thermostat on the wall - you shouldn't put a TRV on the rads in that room.

Sponsored Links
No real issue with airlocks if you're simply re-filling an existing system (ie there have been no significant pipework changes etc). Make sure you have closed bleed screws in all rads before you start refilling (not unknown to have opened or even removed one for some reason)... if you forget, you'll have water everywhere. Allow system to refill, then move around the house bleeding rads one by one. Best advice I can give you is... bleed all rads, then switch on your boiler and BOIL THE HELL OUT OF IT for as long as you can. This will force all air into your rads where it belongs... then switch the boiler off, wait for the system to cool (so you don't scald yourself), and go round and re-bleed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back