Re-fitting stained glass panel in bow window fanlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I wonder if anyone can tell me the best way to refit a stained glass panel in to one of the opening top windows in my bow window?

I have taken the window itself out, removed the glass panel and I've carried out some fairly basic repairs- one piece was broken another bowed in - I've followed all the guidance on soldering, lead cementing etc etc . I didn't replace the outer lead came as it looked OK. I'm fairly sure and hoping the panel is OK and weatherproof, but I'm just not entirely sure of the best way to refit it.

It was secured with timber glazing bars ( is that the right term for the 4 timber strips that were nailed on the outside? ) These came off Ok so I was hoping to reuse them.
But do I put some putty in the timber rebate first, then place in the panel, then a bit more putty and then the glazing bar ?
Or do I actually need the putty under the glazing bar - though I'm worried how well it would seal if I didnt
Do I need to put hold the panel in place in the rebate using the glazing point pin things, or carpet tacks I've seen mentioned?
Any advice would be appreciated
I don't want to have put a lot of effort into repairing the panel for it to fall out as soon as I open the window :-0

Many Thanks
Lou

Sponsored Links
Hi

Putty into the rebate first. Then push the lead into the opening gently(make sure the putty is nice and soft so you don't have to push to hard). Once the lead is in put some putty on the back of the beads so when you push the beads against the glass it oozes out. Then pin the beads down scrape off excess putty. Job done

Sponsored Links
Sorry God, I probably should also have asked - I have some of the flexistrip butyl glazing tape left over when the joiner fitted some dg units elsewhere. Could that be used with stained glass panels or is it better to use putty? Though I don't know whether you would wrap round the lead came or what ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back